Monday, May 21, 2012

Rainy Day In The Garden

Someone saw my garden the other day and she said "It looks so organized!" I laughed because really, besides my little plan of where I'd like to see things, the garden feels like a totally creative process and pretty adhoc. See the grass clippings I scrounged from our kind neighbour accross the road, the day she was mowing the lawn. I like to put this between the rows to keep weeds down and put nitrogen back into the soil.. When it gets hot I like to surround the plants with grass clippings too, to keep the soil moist. See my potato cage in the background by the compost bin.


This whole area was gravel and thanks to a couple of truckloads of woodchips, lots and lots of raking and then some soil, rocks, free bricks from Craiglist and just some seeds, trust, sunshine and water. It's turning into a nice little oasis with St. Francis presiding over the herb garden.


Just a few rainy day garden photos. It's great to see things coming up, now that all the hard work is done for a while. The potatoes are doing what they're supposed to in their cage, getting gradually backfilled as they send out shoots, till the whole thing is full of a million potatoes. The rest of things are growing well, with the sun we've been having and days like this are also welcome! I have some different stuff like okra and eggplants growing in the greenhouse, where they'll stay all summer because it's hot in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment