Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Creating Community with Kitchen Scraps

We made this little place for people to sit and rest while they're out walking.

I thought I'd see if people would drop in their kitchen scraps for the chickens....Why not I say!One of our neighbours, my new friend Jeanine left these jars of crushed eggshells for the garden this morning! She'd been saving them for years and they are so good for the soil.
Every day is like Christmas because I go outside and look in the bin to find kitchen scraps that people kindly leave when they walk by. My good friends all know they can bring me a load of scraps any time and I will grin from ear to ear! Look at the happy chickens. What I love most is how a little thing like the chicken scrap bin in it's own way helps to create community and a shared sense of doing something good for the planet. Because of the chickens and the scraps and the garden we know almost everyone on our street by name and that is a wonderful thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment