Friday, April 6, 2012

Seattle Slug Salvation!

Thank you Starbucks for the coffee grounds that stopped the evil slug invasion and nourish my garden <3

Safe and happy romaine lettuce!

Look at my poor savoy cabbage baby..

I feel today that I have triumphed over evil! The evil slug that is....I've seen slugs before but never like these ones here in Seattle. I've gardened in some of the wettest and grayest places, like Quadra Island, battling deer, squirrels and bunnies and still, the slugs here are the most relentless predators I've ever come accross. A week ago I planted out tender, greenhouse raised savoy cabbage and romaine lettuce seedlings and they are decimated by slugs, despite the plastic collars I put up around them for protection. The slugs just slimed their way over the top and came inside for a midnight snack! The other day I tried cucumber slices put around on tin foil and the slugs loved that, but also my plants.

So, you can imagine my jubilation this morning at seeing the last two protected romaine seedlings standing there, unscathed, surrounded by a ring of STARBUCKS ESPRESSO GROUNDS! Yes, you heard it right. I am an inveterate scrounger and so when I go to Starbucks I always ask for their left over coffee grounds to put on my compost pile to add tilth and nitrogen. Waste not want not eh? But then I read on an obscure post online that coffee grounds are toxic to slugs and Voila! Slug problem gone! I'm stoked. Think I'll go have a Venti espresso and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment